Tuesday

Blog 604: A Night 'Out'

I wonder if you've heard this joke before:

Taking a well-earned break from the detective business, Sherlock Holmes and Watson were on a camping/hiking trip. They had gone to bed and were lying there looking up at the sky.

Holmes said, "Watson, look up. What do you see?"

"Well, I see thousands of stars."

"And what does that mean to you?"

"Well, I suppose it means that of all the planets and suns and moons in the universe, that we are truly the one most blessed with the reason to deduce theorems to make our way in this world of criminal enterprises and blind greed. It means that we are truly small in the eyes of God but struggle each day to be worthy of the senses and spirit we have been blessed with. And, I suppose, at the very least, in the meteorological sense, it means that it is most likely that we will have another nice day tomorrow. What does it mean to you, Holmes?"

"To me, it means someone has stolen our tent."


Well, to me and my wingies yesterday night, that meant that we were sleeping on the top of the warden's office ( aka warden top) because there was a dumb power cut all night long!

Flashback first:

Sunday dinner. It was a dark and stormy evening. The wind was howling in the trees. Dogs were barking in the streets. A lone mysterious man was cycling slowly into view.
So anyways, I was having dinner and told Shaggy that I'd go to the gym with him on Monday morning at 6.30 am. [;)]

By some mysterious quirk of nature, I went to sleep at 4 that night... very much in time for 6.30am, u'd appreciate, and hence, woke up much later than, again... u'd appreciate, 6.30 am.

Monday dinner. It was a dark and stormy evening. The wind was howling in the trees. Dogs were barking in the streets. A lone mysterious man was cycling slowly into view.
Surprise surprise... I was having dinner and told Shaggy i'd go to the gym with him on Tuesday morning at 6.30 am!

Only this time, I went to sleep at 1 am... and again at 4am... and again at 8.30 am... and again at 1.30pm!

Lets break this down into periods.

At some point of time between 1 am and 3am, IIT Kgp blacked out. At some point of time after after that, I heard a voice really plead inside my room... asking me to come nearer to it... asking me to help it out of its agony... I tried my best not to give in... I tried my best to stay put... but I couldnt help it any more... I gave in... groped my way to it... tenderly...gingerly felt around a bit... found the spot I was looking for... I wished things hadnt gone this way... but there was no way out... 'just do it'...

...and I switched off my UPS.

Went back to sleep... but no... the mosquitoes wouldnt have any of it...

Around 3, I got up... went outside...

You know you are in a really halu state when u get up and u can hear Krishna's voice inside your head maroing wholesale funda. But then, if you go to the bathroom, come back and still hear his funda wafting in the air, you know there is a bhaat session going on somewhere close by!

Bas... looked around.. and there... junta was sitting on warden top... basking in the moonlight. Went there, bhaated... tried sleeping on the concrete, then tried sleeping on newspapers... and finally, we brought our beddings from our rooms and slept on them. Had a photo session too... will put up the pics soon!

Woke up at 7.15... felt weaker than ever... no power yet... and bed wet coz of wet floor on wardy top :(... undeterred, I had breaker... went to madman's room... found he wasnt there... went to sleep on his bed!

Gnite!




PS: while lying on warden top... watching the moon... something came to mind...look at these two pics of the moon...
the one on the left is peace... it implies that the earth is blocking the light on the right half on the moon.

Wonder how the right- side- pic forms though... if the earth is on the right of the moon... then shouldnt the arc thats being formed be like that in the left-side-pic.

6 comments:

sandeep said...

hmm...the pic-zzle
i think one of your basic assumptions is wrong, the shadow is not earth's shadow but the part of the moon that does not get sun's light incident on it....so the curvature is not the shape of shadow falling but rather the shape that does or does not get light on it....that would explain your right side figure....
anyother explainations...still me not totally clear abt it though
by the way nice blog...
especially liked the wind howling and dogs barking part

Sunny said...

@ Hari:

hehe [:D]

@Sandy:

Well...if that part of the moon is getting light and the moon is vertically above the earth.... then it means that the sun is on the left in between moon and earth...

so earth pe bhi us samay light aani chahiye...

anyways... we'll work this out someday when we r both frust and dunno why [:D]

Romram said...

will try coming over to wardi top if the same is repeated today
have a look at http://aproforever.blogspot.com

Coolin said...

abe.. yaar.. sabse pehle to jhoot bola tune.. u woke up on ur own @ 6.30.. :P jhoot pakdi gayi..

waise.. kya ho gaya hain tujhe.. department main kam funda mil raha hain kya.. jo sun moon and earth and blah blah ke position and wrt to light travelling.. !!! dude..!! u need a break !! :P

whose saying that !! :P

chalo.. badiya hain
KM

naween said...

see this http://www.jek2004.com/Phases-of-the-Moon-Poster-A.jpg
and this
http://www.mentaljokes.com/images/Moon_phases_small.jpg
for an explanation to the pics

Sunny said...

@Romram:

Thankfully it didnt recur...*phew*


@Coolin:

Kab woke up at 6.30am?? And btw... dep se ZERO funda milta hai isiliye sun, moon and stars ko resort karna pad raha hai [;)]

@Who Am I

Thankew [:)]