Sunday

Blog 202: Me, myself and my f***ed up accent

But, how I caught it, found it, or came by it
What stuff 'tis made of, whereof it is born
I am to learn
And such a want wit sadness makes of me
That I have much ado to know myself


If there was one thing that i could change about myself, one thing that i hate about myself, one thing that makes me embarrass myself... it'd be my accent. I mean, speaking comes to everyone naturally...to me too...but 'jiski nahin phati bawai...so kya samjhe peer parayi'.

I dunno where i acquired this accent from. Rather, I never acquired this accent; it’s just an intrinsic part of the whole package that I am. Right from as early as i remember, I have always mispronounced T and D. My stupid tongue just refuses to align itself in the correct way when it comes to pronouncing these syllables. It didn’t help that in the period from class 6 to 9 i became a huge fan of BBC and CNN and used to watch these channels a hell of a lot. Why? Coz well...i started pronouncing R as W ( visualize an American pronouncing 'road'....it sounds like 'woad').
Hence, here i am today...having trouble doing one of the most fundamental things in life...speaking:(


No one in my family thinks its a problem. My cousin even today maintains that i don’t have an accent. My mom says its fine...nothing to bother abt. Unfortunately...that isn’t a sentiment shared by those not sanguinarily affiliated to me. What’s bothersome is that when i first meet sumone, the prima facie impression that the person develops is that i am arrogant, trying to show-off/trying to put on an accent.


It happened first in class 11 when i switched schools... my class mates asked me if i had ever been to France or to any place west of India. Then, when i first joined tuitions (again class 11), ppl there used to ask me the same damned question. It helped that i used to be a soft spoken fellow and pretty sincere with my studies back then (dunno how i am now in either respect) and so my teachers never found an occasion to be displeased with me.

Even in 11, i never thought the accent was anything serious. Of course there were times when ppl imitated it, mocked it, etc etc...(It didn’t help that the soft spoken moron had never used an abuse worse than...well... probably...moron). Consequence... i only became more aloof, kept as far away frm groups of junta as possible and often maintained a cold countenance to deter the sharks..and, ergo...enforced the haughty image.

(I never ever forget anyone or any incident where any asshole, whosoever, has mocked me for my accent and trust me...I’ve even had murderous tendencies towards one Mister Naween Kumar for certain incidents in the second year...but well...)


Then... Kgp happened. My first brush with the notion of ppl taking my accent as arrogance came within the first month...ramshankar, an angel who lived two rooms away frm me told me that he thought i put it on to stand out in the crowd. Over time, i got this confirmation from lots of ppl. Today, I don’t care abt what ppl who don’t know me think of me...those who know me know pretty well what the whole idea is. What i bother abt are my GD and interview. Those aren’t ppl with whom I’ll go to eggies, listen to champa's songs, swat mosquitoes and have tea while they get to know me. For them, it'll be...first impression...last impression.


Was sitting with the modern algebra book yesterday night from
1 to 4.30 am. So how much did i study?? I guess some 50 pages!! 50 pages of English literature that is. Theta, beta, degree, order, Euclidean,commutative, associative...they all make terrific exercises when u r trying to pronounce T and D correctly!!

Then there are more queer troubles...like if i need to shout out to call either of ID( Indrajit Das) or PD( Parijat Dhawal) , I cant!! Same for Adi!! Damned D!!


There's more, I’ve developed a kinda word editor in my mind...a word editor with auto-correct!! Instead of saying troublesome words, i use others. Like instead of saying reading, i often say 'going through'. Even otherwise, i subconsciously go thru the text I’m abt to speak and edit out words which i might mispronounce. Adikooldude might find it hard to believe that i think before i speak (he solemnly believes that i shoot frm the hip) but well....i compile and debug it too!!


Anyways, its time i quit escapism...am trying to root out the whole problem.


I've, or rather my accent has, been described varyingly as French, Italian, Russian, Spanish...I pray I can do a Mohan Bhargav(Swades) encore and get back to being Indian. Amen!!

10 comments:

naween said...

hey...wht u hv ritten gives the impression tht i mocked u for ur accent...which is as far frm truth as it can be...and just for the record...u can expect to hv these "murderous tendencies" for the rest of ur stay in kgp...tht is if we don't hv a showdown before thn[>:)]..

and best of luck for ur endeavours...though i wud say i rather like the way u speak now...

and to be honest, the first time i heard u speak, i harbored similar feelings but 5 minutes later, i cud make out wht ur problem was...sadly not all ppl r so observant or caring[:P]..

naween said...

and yes, i thought u had strted riting this post aeons ago...wht took u so long...can't believe it was paucity of time[:P]...

Himadri Mayank said...

accent ... it is always tough to change one.. but.. i dont think one needs to change.. after all language is perfect till the correct meaningz conveyed to the other person..

but yes.. u hv an accent and thats not bad.. infact it sounds good..

Coolin said...

hey Mosquito!! kuch yaad aaya :D abe.. u r among the famous and we like aur own home grown "damn mosquitoes" ... tu jaisa hain.. sahi hain be.. peace rakh.. ;)

SK said...

hey, how come so many big people are finding my blog? And leaving a comment too?

Lovely post this one. Didn't read the others. Will do when I have ample time. This problem of mispronouncing certain letters won't be much of a problem during the GD's and interviews. Take my word for it. And better start worring about the better part of life you spend with friends and relatives than the half hour in a GD/PI. And it can be corrected. Even hrithik can get rid of his stammering, anyone can modify his accent.

As for the book, well, will write whenever I have new interesting things to write. I don't want to write just for the sake of writing. So, its just 'EUREKA' for me. can happen anyday, anytime. No fixed schedule.

kpowerinfinity said...

hey dude !!!

despite the "mosquito", we still love and admire you. and your outlanding accent lends a strange kind of a uniqueness to you. dont worry ... its not a problem at all, and we love and admire u !!!

i have been trying to find ur blog for quite sometime now ... i had thought you r url is http://sunnysomani.blogspot.com. and look what an idiot i amL: never got around to buzzing u on yahoo and finding out !!!

anyway, nice funda this: Blog Seasons and episodes :D

and yes ... ram shankar is a consummate ch*tp*t ... dont worry :P

kpowerinfinity said...

PS: adding u to my blogroll... i am sure u wont mind :)

Sunny said...

Thankew all of you...I'm glad i got around to writing this post...

2naween: can't hardly wait till the next showdown :D

2himadri: hmm...reminds me of an adage 'felicity, not fluency, of language is the key'...thanx though:)

2kaush: :)) yaar i shud have included the name 'mosquito' in the 'whats in a name' post!!

2hari: thanx a ton!!

2chaks: thanks for the tute!! btw...the last time i ever thought abt my teeth eroding was when i visited a dentist and he ran a drill inside my tooth...makes a jhakaas F1 car sound inside my mouth!!:D

2suneet: big people?? achcha by size!! [x-(]...[:P]

2kk: thankew!! waise...with some 250 ppl on ur yahoo list...cant blame u at all!!

Sunny said...

Thankew all of you...I'm glad i got around to writing this post...

2naween: can't hardly wait till the next showdown :D

2himadri: hmm...reminds me of an adage 'felicity, not fluency, of language is the key'...thanx though:)

2kaush: :)) yaar i shud have included the name 'mosquito' in the 'whats in a name' post!!

2hari: thanx a ton!!

2chaks: thanks for the tute!! btw...the last time i ever thought abt my teeth eroding was when i visited a dentist and he ran a drill inside my tooth...makes a jhakaas F1 car sound inside my mouth!!:D

2suneet: big people?? achcha by size!! [x-(]...[:P]

2kk: thankew!! waise...with some 250 ppl on ur yahoo list...cant blame u at all!!

KS said...

I understand, to some degree, your feelings. T and D are terrible letters to pronounce and so is 'h'. And how ever do people pronounce 'who'? I mean it comes out like 'phoo' or 'woo' or some silly/funny sound, anything but the 'correct' way. sigh. I guess we just got to live with our accents, for better or for worse.

and yea, while we are talking of accents, I place on record my eternal fascination with gult accent. It so totally rocks. :D